• hojunkimchi

hojunkimchi

#15614556 - 5 years ago

Can you recommend any beginner tablets?

• Stroud458

Stroud458

#15614655 - 5 years ago

In reply to hojunkimchi, #2:

Tablets as in the Drawing kind or the iPad kind?

• hojunkimchi

hojunkimchi

#15616038 - 5 years ago

In reply to Stroud458, #3:

Like the drawing tablet kind.

• FantasyCore

FantasyCore

#15616175 - 5 years ago

CTRL Paint has some good video tutorials.

• Stroud458

Stroud458

#15616444 - 5 years ago

In reply to hojunkimchi, #4:

I've used the DigiPro for a long time and I can honestly say that it is one of the best tablets that I have ever used. And it's fairly cheap too, which makes it all the better.

• Sammy_K7

Sammy_K7

#15617141 - 5 years ago

Hi everyone!
    A little back history I did Graphic Design for College, and most of my work was done on the Macs at College using Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Now I never went to Uni, wasn't "me", my heart wasn't set upon it etc. Still to this day I don't plan on going to Uni.

NOW... I want to get into the Graphic Design industry from scratch, but I need to get back into it and practice to my little hearts content ... I can not afford the "tools of the trade"(Photoshop etc (I have downloaded their free trials too many times they have sussed me out too)), what can you guys recommend me that could help with GD any websites? download (cheap or free) programs?

So please can you help a little Graphic Designer get back on her feet again?

• hojunkimchi

hojunkimchi

#15617909 - 5 years ago

In reply to Stroud458, #6:

Thanks you. I'll buy it soon. I've been wanting to draw, but on paper it gets too messy for me

• Stroud458

Stroud458

#15618304 - 5 years ago

In reply to Sammy_K7, #7:

A good free program like Photoshop would be Gimp It's obviosly not as good as Photoshop becuase it's free. But I think it's one of the best Open Source programs out there.

There is also GimpShopDotNet This version looks a lot more like Photoshop and functions in almost the same way. :Like the 'proper' version of Gimp, this one is free too.

Hope this helps!

• trojanrabbit

trojanrabbit

#15624112 - 5 years ago

Here's a few awesome sites for color palettes:
    DeGraeve
    Adobe Kuler
    Pictaculous

An awesome book that anyone in the creative industry (especially freelancers) should own is the Artist's Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines. If you're just starting out and don't know how or what to charge your clients, this makes for a great resource.

• Sammy_K7

Sammy_K7

#15624677 - 5 years ago

In reply to Stroud458, #9:

Thanks, someone else recommended me pixlr which is very similar to photoshop and Gimp.

• kayt33

kayt33

#15730276 - 5 years ago

Hi, hope this question isn't a repeat, but how do you guys get realistic skin colour in programs such as Photoshop? (Mine always end up too pink-ish and or over saturated.) Thank you in advance.

• WordSplicer

WordSplicer

#15733150 - 5 years ago

Also, if anyone has some good free (or not so free) actions they can recommend, I'd love to take a look. I guess a good old Google search could point me in the right direction, but I prefer trying out ones people can vouch for. Thanks all!

• SinSong

SinSong

#15735423 - 5 years ago

In reply to hojunkimchi, #2:

I would suggest the Wacom Bamboo Splash. It's a great beginning tablet and its pretty easy to use. Cheap, too. About $80.

• Johnnykaze

Johnnykaze FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#15801519 - 5 years ago

Hey all,

I'm a graphic design student myself, and I couldn't help but want to add to the links above. I have some good resources for new or experienced designers alike:

This is pretty much my entire arsenal of design sites that I visit regularly, especially The Dieline and Abduzeedo (list above)

Inspiration Sites:

www.thedieline.com/
    http://www.designsponge.com/
    www.cuded.com/
    http://logopond.com/
    www.thinkingwithtype.com/
    http://www.lynda.com/ << That has a lot of good tutorials for Adobe products too

Resources:

www.brandsoftheworld.com/ << This is really helpful for vector logos that you need for projections, but don't want to attempt yourself.

Brushes:

qbrushes.net/

Fonts & Typography:

fontsbytes.com/
    http://www.fontsquirrel.com/ << That is good for web design

• Stroud458

Stroud458

#15852846 - 5 years ago

In reply to Johnnykaze, #15:

fontsbytes.com/

This is a clone of Dafonts. But still, awesome list dude. BrandsOfTheWorld is really helpful.

• DarkPopulous

DarkPopulous FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16004563 - 5 years ago

This thread is going into my bookmarks, thank you Stroud458.

• LHspartan

LHspartan

#16114946 - 5 years ago

I'm going to be getting design software soon anyone can recommend a drawing tablet? Uk resident below £70 price?

• diniicheng

diniicheng

#16148587 - 5 years ago

For the hardcore designers, that wanna save the world with posters:

www.manystuff.org
    blogs.walkerart.org/design/
    http://www.servinglibrary.org/
    designenvy.aiga.org/
    http://designobserver.com/
    www.itsnicethat.com/
    http://referencelibrary.blogspot.com/

Some interesting typefaces:

www.fontsquirrel.com

• Stroud458

Stroud458

#16383428 - 4 years ago

In reply to DarkPopulous, #17:

Thanks! Glad to help!

In reply to LHspartan, #18:

This one is pretty good. But to be honest, they're all basically the same. Just some of them have keys on them that act as shortcuts. Honestly, a cheap one will work just as well as a more expensive one.

Sorry for late actually very late reply.

• Stroud458

Stroud458

#16412703 - 4 years ago

In reply to Johnnykaze, #21:

Oh yes. Google Fonts has appeared more times on my sites than I care to mention.

• Johnnykaze

Johnnykaze FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16412698 - 4 years ago

Fontsquirrel is also really helpful for any fonts or typefaces used in webdesign. Also, Google Fonts works extremely well for that too.

• Zellian

Zellian

#16451926 - 4 years ago

I'm going to keep this thread in mind, I studied graphics design a bit back and need to get my skills back up and back into it.

• DorkyDino

DorkyDino

#16488765 - 4 years ago

Hello! I majored in graphic design in university and minored in photography. I now have a full time graphic design job and do freelance design (and other art) on the side.

We recently signed up for the creative cloud at work, so I'm currently researching some of the new things they offer. It's pretty interesting!

I'm going to keep this thread in mind as I'm looking for resources and help with things! I'll try to provide help and post as I find new things, too. To start, here's a good video I just watched explaining how to make an interactive iPad app in InDesign.

• AppleTarts

AppleTarts FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#16586529 - 4 years ago

Another half decent program would be firealpaca.com/en. Again, its free so don't expect any photoshop features (though I prefer that over photoshop)