***You might want to watch the actual video this time...There's more/better in depth examples as to why this affects other smaller channels there.*** https://youtu.be/hozf4URQTgw
YouTube has implemented more changes to its Partnership program. YouTube has received considerable criticism in the past for being an unstable source of income for its users, especially smaller channels that are trying to get their foot in the door. As of yesterday, they have added new changes to the program, which further harms the growth of smaller channels.
"Back in April of 2017, we set a YPP eligibility requirement of 10,000 lifetime views. While that threshold provided more information to determine whether a channel followed our community guidelines and policies, it’s been clear over the last few months that we need a higher standard.
Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. We’ve arrived at these new thresholds after thorough analysis and conversations with creators like you. They will allow us to significantly improve our ability to identify creators who contribute positively to the community and help drive more ad revenue to them (and away from bad actors). These higher standards will also help us prevent potentially inappropriate videos from monetizing which can hurt revenue for everyone."
Let's use the IG YouTube channel as an example of this. As of this writing, we have a total of 7,150 lifetime views. Prior to this, we would have attained monetization privileges if we kept it up for another several months. Now, the goal post has moved farther down the field; given how small our channel is at this point in time, 4,000 hours is quite frankly insane. Furthermore, as of this writing, we have 55 subscribers, which is a far cry from the required 1,000 subscribers.
We aren't relying on IG to make money at this stage, but the fact that we won't be able to make money off our work and expand our brand for a long time stings. That feeling is shared by those like us who don't have a lot of subscribers or consistent audience retention. It's not so much that we want to make a living, moreso that our growth is being restricted.
The post later goes on to say;
"Though these changes will affect a significant number of channels, 99% of those affected were making less than $100 per year in the last year, with 90% earning less than $2.50 in the last month. Any of the channels who no longer meet this threshold will be paid what they’ve already earned based on our AdSense policies. After thoughtful consideration, we believe these are necessary compromises to protect our community."
This seems to miss the forest for the trees. Yes, 90% of the channels affected were making less than $2.50 in the past month, but what about the other 10%? Is it really fair to arbitrarily take away monetization privileges from smaller channels who now have to get bigger if they want to see another penny from their work?
The YouTube Partnership program has been notoriously fickle ever since its inception, especially against smaller channels. This change only adds weight to that point. At some point, it's going to bottom out and the only people left on YouTube making decent money are the ones who are already big.