Hello all! Hope everyone's 2018 is going well.
Every year I like to set some general goals for myself. Nothing too extravagant or unrealistic so I don't set myself up for disappointment at the end of the year. Just some general things for me to keep in mind for the year.
In 2017 my goals were:
- Be aware of my mental health, and make an effort to take care of myself, limit stress, and generally be happier. Figuring out the causes of stress and unhappiness is great awareness and helps you fix those issues going forward.
- Give more to charity (time and money). I've volunteered at an animal shelter weekly for several years, but last year I expanded that to giving more when I could, both to that shelter and to other causes that were important to me. Any amount of time and effort or money helps someone/something, whether it's a $5 donation to a food bank, or buying a t-shirt where the proceeds go to disaster relief.
- Improve my archery skills. I shoot Olympic recurve indoor target archery. It's a really fun sport that can be incredibly frustrating sometimes (like when you're making a small adjustment to your form and it throws your previously good scores off)!
Here are a few of my 2018 goals:
- Make a cosplay of Rey's newest outfit from The Last Jedi. Rey is definitely one of my favorite characters in all of fiction, and I've made 2 of her outfits already (Jakku Scavenger and gray vest Resistance). I have to add to my collection and make that Jedi look!
- Learn new skills. Udemy has some interesting courses, and they seem to have sales frequently (I bought some classes when they were at $10 marked down from $150+). If you want to start a new hobby or pick up some skills that might help your career, sites like that can be a good place to start. If you can't afford to pay for a class, there are always tutorials on blogs and YouTube.
- D&D. I've played tabletop RPGs for years (ranging from one shots to games that lasted years), love boardgames (shout out to TableTop!), and for the past few months I've been in my first D&D 5E campaign. Since I've played RPGs before, in this campaign I'm trying to make an effort to develop my roleplaying/acting side more. I'm excited to see where my half-elf rogue takes me this year!
Anyone else have goals for this year? Goals you accomplished last year?